SEG Scholarships encourage the study of geophysics and related geosciences. Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the SEG offers a range of different scholarship opportunities.
Funds provided may be applied to tuition, books, and fees.
Do you have questions about SEG scholarships? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for 2016-2017
Make sure you have your transcripts and two recommendation letters ready.
Am I eligible?
SEG Scholarships are based on merit.
To qualify, you must be:
- A student who is either:
- Attending high school and planning to enter college next fall;
- An undergraduate or graduate college student whose grades are above average.
- Intending to pursue a college curriculum directed toward a career in applied geophysics or a closely related field, such as geosciences, physics, geology, or earth and environmental sciences.
See a list of recipients for 2015-2016
What scholarships are available?
Scholarships range from $500 to $14,000 USD per academic year; average awards are approximately $2,500.
The number of scholarships available depends chiefly upon the number of sponsors and the amounts they contribute.
SEG scholarships have been sent to universities all over the world.
See a list of all available scholarships
When can I/should I apply?
Online applications are accepted 1 October through 1 March.
Mid-March through mid-May a committee of 8 professional geophysicists independently review and rank each application. A consensus meeting is held in late May to discuss the applications and establish a final ranking. Top ranked students are matched with available scholarships. Applicants are notified of results in June. Timeline
- Oct–Mar: applications accepted
- Mar–May: applications reviewed and scholarships assigned
- June: applicants notified of results
- June–Sep: enrollments verified; acceptance documents completed; funds distributed
How do I apply?
Students must include current transcripts and email addresses for two faculty members who have agreed to serve as references. Click here to complete your application online.
If you would like to see what's on the application before you complete one online, you may download one below. Please note, we only accept applications through our online system. We will not accept a paper application.
- Freshman (1st year Bachelor's degree)
- Undergraduate (Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Honors in Bachelor's program)
- Graduate (Masters, PhD or Post-Doctorate)
Choose the form that corresponds to your classification for the fall term.
View the full application process
Make Your Application a Success
Follow these tips to ensure that your application will have the strongest chance of success.
Total Distributed in 2015