SEG 2013 Workshop
Full Waveform Inversion: From Near Surface to Deep
27 April - 1 May 2013
SOLD OUT: This workshop has reached its capacity.
To be added to the waiting list, please contact email@example.com.
27 March 2013
Advance Registration Deadline
5 April 2013
Housing Reservation Deadline
Full waveform inversion has emerged as the final and ultimate solution to the Earth resolution and imaging objective. It can potentially include the comprehensive computational simulation of the true field experiment, in which the observed data is reproduced using the inverted model of the subsurface. However, FWI faces many challenges, which include:
- How can we mitigate the cycle skipping problem?
- Can we avoid low frequencies?
- Is traveltime tomography a good source for an initial velocity?
- What are the acquisition requirements (sampling, reflections, offsets, LF) for a proper FWI?
- Can FWI be used to resolve near surface attributes, and how near?
- In 3-D Full azimuth data is full waveform inversion too expensive?
- How well diving waves can resolve the near surface?
- Can we rely on refl ections in full waveform inversion?
- What is the role of Multiples in Full waveform inversion?
- Can we use annihilators in the data space?
- Can we invert for the Salt body, or do we need to flood it?
- What are processing techniques for proper FWI to resolve near surface and or imaging?
- At what depth and resolution can the FWI be reliable?
- When do we use Acoustic Impedance inversion and FWI to include pros and cons for various imaging (near surface vs.mapping horizons)?
The objective of this workshop is to discuss the challenges and difficulties in full waveform inversion for applications in resolving the near surface, as well as, land data and offshore subsalt.
- The committee will review applications to determine acceptance.
- If you have been accepted you will be notified in February 2013.
- Once you have been accepted you will receive registration and housing information by e-mail.
- Register and pay the fee to attend the Workshop.
- Make housing reservations with the hotel.
- Enjoy the Workshop and make some great contacts.
The registration fee prior to 27 March is USD$982. The late registration fee beginning 28 March is USD$1082.
The meeting will be held at the Crowne Plaza-Muscat, Muscat, Oman.
Rooms are available for reservation at the Crowne Plaza Hotel-Muscat at the following rates:
| Standard City View Room || OMR 65.000 |
To reserve your room, please follow the steps listed below:
- Go to the CP website – http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/mschc
- Go to Check Availability and type arrival /departure dates
- Type the Group Code ("PDO")
- Click Check Availability, it will show the room rate for the SEG Workshop
- Select the type of room and click Reserve
- Enter the information needed and the credit card number, then click Confirm Reservation
Reservation requests must be made by 5 April 2013 in order to ensure a reservation at the group rate. Space is limited.
The meeting will comprise a mixture of poster and oral presentations. Delegates will have the opportunity to attend all posters during formal sessions. Oral presentations will complement the poster sessions. Experience of previous Workshops is that discussion sessions are lively and wide-ranging: the proportion of delegates that actively participate is always high.
- Saturday, 27 April - Registration; Icebreaker
- Sunday, 28 April - Registration; Morning and Afternoon Sessions
- Monday, 29 April - Morning and Afternoon Sessions; Group Dinner
- Tuesday, 30 April - Morning and Afternoon Sessions
- Wednesday, 1 May - Optional Full Day Field Trip
Direct participation of all workshop attendees is mandatory. Participation may be through poster, oral presentation or discussion contributions. Neither oral nor poster presentations is a requirement in order to be accepted for registration. If the number of applicants exceeds the capacity of the conference facilities, then preference will be given to presenters.
Optional Field Trip
Geological Excursion to Saiq Plateau, Jebel Al-Akhdhar, Sultanate of Oman
A separate registration form for this field trip will be available on this website later in March.
This full day excursion will blend spectacular geological sceneries with culture and historical sites – and a chance for networking.
A 200 km drive through the fascinating mountains into the Jebel Akhadar at around 2,000 meters. The geological views will include seismic scale formations, folding, faulting, the famous Opholoites rocks and other carbonate sequences.
The Oman Mountains constitute a privileged terrain where the Permian to Cretaceous evolution of the Arabian passive continental margin.
Samail Opholoite are unique oceanic crust rock sequences that have been abducted on top of the continental crust of Arabian plate. It is a fragment of Neo-Tethyan oceanic lithosphere of Albian-Cenomanian to Cenomanian-Turonian age.
At the top of the Jebel Akhadr, there will an opportunity to discover the some of the Omani old traditional villages abundant with greenery and seismic scale geological features.
Sponsorship opportunities are available by contacting Cassidy Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information regarding sponsorship can be found in the Sponsorship Brochure found in the "Important Document" section of this webpage.
Visa information invitation letter
Participants in the SEG 2013 Workshop may generate an official invitation letter using the form below. This form will generate a letter which you can print and use in obtaining a visa.
For those whose company or organization is planning on sending more than one individual to the workshop, additional documentation may be required for scheduling an appointment with the local Oman embassy. If additional assistance is required, fill out a separate invitation letter for each individual requesting a visa using the form below. Each invitation letter has a unique reference number. Produce one cover letter listing all individuals requesting a visa. The letter must include the following information for each individual.
- Passport number
- Date and place of birth
- Nationality as it appears on the passport
- Reference number from the invitation letter
Fax these forms together with the cover letter printed on the group's official stationary to +1.918.497.5557.
Please note that this letter does not guarantee that you will be granted a visa, nor does it commit SEG to pay any expenses you may incur. It is the sole responsibility of the attendee to obtain the necessary paperwork for entry to Oman.
If you have any questions about this form or the letter it generates, please send us an e-mail.
Create my letter
SEG Meeting Planner