Junior Membership classification
Junior Membership in the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) is a career exploration program intended to encourage pre-university students, with demonstrated interest in earth sciences, to consider and actively pursue a career in geosciences, particularly in geophysics.
Note: University/College level students, please join the Society as a Student (ST) Member.
To be eligible for Junior Membership, an applicant must be recommended by a teacher, mentor, or professional geoscientist and must show interest in geosciences either by:
- enrollment in an advanced level secondary education geosciences course or a non-credit geosciences course offered by a recognized university or college; this also includes programs offered by science centers, community-based organizations, or other informal educational institutions such as the Scouts movement, particularly those who have earned the natural science merit badge, specifically in geology
- volunteer or internship position in a science museum, science camp, or involvement with similar organizations and situations through which the applicant's interest in geosciences is exhibited by means of instructing others in geosciences is also permissible
Junior Members shall be entitled to attend meetings of the Society under appropriate supervision, to purchase its publications on the same terms as Student Members, and to have electronic access to SEG's services, products, and journals.
- purchase SEG publications on the same terms as Student Members and receive discounted member pricing on books purchased in the SEG Book Mart
- attend the meetings of the Society at the Student Member rate (under appropriate supervision at all times; the designated chaperon must be a registered delegate)
- receive online access to the SEG's services, products, and journals via My SEG (a valid email address is required for activation). Junior Members receive access to the electronic versions of SEG journals via the SEG Digital Library, which provides a single access point and interface for the Society's Research Collection (Geophysics, The Leading Edge, SEG Expanded Abstracts, Encyclopedic Dictionary). The publications of the Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society (EEGS) complete this online collection of valuable resources (JEEG and SAGEEP)
- and most of all, Junior Members enjoy the benefit of developing a network of social and academic contacts, and guidance in career planning/development
Membership Fee US$10.00*
*Two-year membership. New applicants will begin receiving benefits upon processing of their completed application, including payment of the appropriate dues. Membership will terminate at the close of the calendar year in which the Junior Member ceases to be a high school student in good standing.
Upon graduation, Junior Members will be invited to continue their membership with the Society and those who meet the qualifications for Student Membership as defined in the Society's Constitution and Bylaws are encouraged to apply for Student Membership.
Applicants for Junior Membership must complete an application form and return it to SEG along with the appropriate dues payment. Applications must be completed in full and include a written recommendation from a teacher; mentor, or a professional geoscientist who can attest that qualifications of membership are met for acceptance into the program.
If you have any questions on Junior Membership, please contact us by e-mail.
Printable Form - Open and then print this PDF file. Please print or type to complete the application. You must mail, scan and e-mail, or fax it to the Membership department at the address listed below:
Society of Exploration Geophysicists
Members Services Department
PO Box 702740
Tulsa OK 74170-2740
Fax to +1.918.497.5565
SEG Junior Membership
It's when you, your mentor, and the SEG work together to turn your interest in the geosciences into a rewarding career path.
Please feel free to contact Member Services by e-mail or phone at +1.918.497.5581or +1.918.497.5544 for any questions regarding your application or SEG membership.