SEG Foundation Scholarships
SEG Foundation Scholarships encourage the study of geophysics and related geosciences. Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the SEG Foundation offers a range of different scholarship opportunities.
Funds provided may be applied to tuition, books, and fees.
Make sure you have your transcripts and two recommendation letters ready.
Am I eligible?
SEG Scholarships are based on merit. To qualify, you must be:
- A student who is either:
- Attending high school and planning to enter college next fall;
- An undergraduate or graduate college student whose grades are above average.
- Intending to pursue a college curriculum directed toward a career in applied geophysics or a closely related field, such as geosciences, physics, geology, or earth and environmental sciences.
See a breakdown of recipients by university and country of citizenship
What scholarships are available?
Scholarships range from $500 to $14,000 USD per academic year; average awards are approximately $2,500.
The number of scholarships available depends chiefly upon the number of sponsors and the amounts they contribute.
SEG scholarships have been sent to universities all over the world.
See a list of all available scholarships
When can I/should I apply?
Online applications are accepted 15 September through 1 March.
Mid-March through mid-April a committee of 9 professional geophysicists independently review and rank each application. A consensus meeting is held in mid-April to discuss the applications and establish a final ranking. Top ranked students are matched with available scholarships. Applicants are notified of results in May. Timeline
- Sep–Mar: applications accepted
- Mar–Apr: applications reviewed and scholarships assigned
- May: applicants notified of results
- May–Sep: enrollments verified; acceptance documents completed; funds distributed
How do I apply?
Students must include current transcripts and two faculty recommendation letters. Make sure you have these materials available as scanned PDF documents or images, then click here to complete your application online.
If you would prefer to download a printable copy of the application form, you can do so below. Please complete only one application:
Choose the form that corresponds to your classification for the fall term.
View the full application process
| || |
Make Your Application a Success
Follow these tips to ensure that your application will have the strongest chance of success.
Total Disbursed in 2013