Travel Grant Eligibility
All applicants must be pursuing a degree in the Geosciences (Undergraduates, Graduates and Ph.D are welcome to apply).
- The applicant must have above average grades.
- The applicant must have not graduated from his or her university at the time the event takes place (Foundation Annual Meeting travel grants may be considered differently).
- All applicants will be required to submit the Required Documentation (below) at the time of application submission. (Please be sure to check the detailed applicant eligibility for the program to which you are applying.)
Required applicant documentation
- Recommendation letter from a faculty advisor or a professor with whom the applicant is academically acquainted – The recommendation letter must be signed by applicant's faculty advisor or professor.
- Last three years of applicant's most recent official transcripts – Graduate students need to submit undergraduate transcripts if they do not have sufficient documentation.
Review Criteria and Scoring
All Foundation Travel Grant applicants will be reviewed and scored on the following:
- Involvement in Geosciences or chosen field of study
- Papers and presentations (i.e. those given at universities, meetings, and conferences; not necessarily SEG meetings)
- Letters of Recommendation
All eligible applications will be sent to the SEG Foundation Travel Grant Committee for ranking. All applicants will be notified of the committee's decision at least two months prior to the event or program.
All SEG Travel Grant Applications may be found online. Click here to apply online. You will be required to create an account if you are a first-time user.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Airfare and accommodation grants will be paid directly to travel and accommodations providers.
a. Airfare and accommodations will be confirmed and paid by the SEG Foundation in a manner consistent with that of
SEG staff travel procedures.
- Global students must comply with SEG policies developed to meet the requirements of U.S. antiterrorism legislation. This may include a notarized affidavit certifying that they are not engaged in terrorism activities. You may download the form here.
- Recipients must present a student I.D., visa, passport, and/or driver's license, along with their notice of award in order to receive the Per Diem funds.
- Recipients will be required to sign a written acknowledgment of payment upon receiving the award.
Click here for more information on Annual Meeting Travel Grants